Pages

Friday, December 28, 2018

The World Around Us! - Water, Water, Everywhere! - Week 2 - Day 2 - Activity 1 - SLJ - Fabulous Flora!

Weaving a Tall Tale...
Weaving a Art Masterpiece!

Image result for flax weaving

Weaving is amazing! I've done some weaving at school in year 2/3, and year 6 and it was really fun, but  it was with paper, but I think in year 4 I did it with flax! I want to do some flax weaving because I like to do all kinds of art so I would love to do some weaving art as well!

By Cathy / Catherine!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cathy,

    It's Leslie here, writing to you from Canada where we also grow flax for making textiles. I don't think we have a history of weaving it into baskets, but it has definitely been grown in order for it to be made into fabric for clothes.

    I can only imagine the amount of work involved in picking the flax, cutting it, preparing it for weaving by softening it etc. I'm glad that you're interested in learning about this. It's important to try to not lose our hand skills, no matter where we live.

    What is your favourite type of artwork? Do you like to draw and paint? Or do you prefer to do craft work?

    I knit and I do a craft called 'counted cross-stitch' which involves creating pictures on fabric using embroidery thread. And I do some sewing as well. I enjoy making pillows and table runners and children's blankets. It's so wonderful to be able to create something and to gift it to someone.

    I hope you're getting some time to be artistic this summer!!

    I'll continue to enjoy reading your blog.

    Cheers,

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete