Pages

Saturday, January 5, 2019

The World Around Us! - Up, Up, and Away! - Week 3 - Day 4 - Activity 2 - SLJ - Like a Scene Out of a Movie!

The Seven Sisters!
Story Time!

The Seven Stars of Matariki

Once upon a time there was a man called Mitai who had six older brothers! One day Mitai and his brothers were out hunting and saw some women and immediately fell in love! The six older brothers were bewitched by the women and gave up eating, looking after themselves, and working. Mitai found out that the women are fairies so he made a plan with his brothers! The brothers captured  the fairy women and then took the fairy women to the god of the heavens and stars! The god took the women far, far away in the sky and let their beauty shine in the eastern sky as stars every year in the winter season!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy,

    It's Leslie here, a member of the Summer Learning Journey team, and I'm reading your blog from my home far away from New Zealand, on the other side of the world. I live in Canada and, while you're having your summer holiday, we're in the middle of our winter. Brr... it's very cold out today. But I love it! I'd rather have cold weather than hot, actually. I wonder what your preference is...

    You've done a lovely job of summarizing this lovely myth/story. I'll just point out that Mitai was the youngest of 8 brothers so it was his 7 older brothers who fell in love with the fairy women. Mitai wasn't one of the brothers involved.

    Otherwise, you've done a super job of re-telling this tale. Thank you. I hope you enjoyed listening to it being read by the author. I did!

    And I hope you're having a lovely summer time. Perhaps you're allowed to stay up late enough, on your holidays, that you can slip outside after dark and look for the Matariki stars.

    I'll continue to enjoy reading your blog.

    Cheers,

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete